FALLBACK – The idea with the name is to celebrate the end of daylight savings time with a long run across the Shawangunk Ridge. Due to scheduling conflicts on the actual “fall back” weekend, the run in 2016 was held on Nov. 19. My goal for 2017 is to hold it on the last day of daylight savings time, Nov 4.
1. The Fall Back is a group fun run, not an organized race. You can run as fast or as slow as you want and you are 100% responsible for yourself.
2. The roughly 31 mile course over the Shawangunk Ridge is on a combination of singletrack and carriage roads.
3. It follows the classic fat-ass format, free, no aid, no registration, and NO COURSE MARKINGS AT ALL, THAT’S RIGHT NONE!!
4. It’s a self-determined staggered start format. Try and finish no later then 4 pm (sunset is at 4:32pm). Start as early as you need to, it is a fat-ass after all.
5. Since this crosses Mohonk Preserve property, you may need to buy a day pass if you are not a member ($12 fee)
6. The directions are very clear about where to go, and the trails are mostly easy to follow if you pay attention. Buy the NY/NJ trail conference maps and draw a line on it.
7. You get a sticker if you do the whole course.
Here are 3 PDF maps that can be printed or downloaded to your smartphone. You may import them into Avenza PDF maps, which is a free app. Until recently it had free unlimited uploads, now you are limited to 3 maps only without paying $30/year.